Losing weight can be a difficult and frustrating journey. Many people begin their weight loss journey with high hopes and a lot of motivation, only to find that they quickly run out of steam. They may struggle to stick to their diet and exercise plans and may even find themselves giving up altogether.
If this sounds familiar, you’re not alone. A lack of motivation is one of the most common pain points faced by people trying to lose weight. But what many people don’t realize is that this lack of motivation can have serious consequences, both for their health and for their overall well-being.
Identify what’s causing the lack of motivation
The first step in addressing this problem is to identify the specific issues that are causing your lack of motivation. Some common reasons include:
- A lack of clear, specific goals
- A lack of accountability or support
- A lack of understanding of how to make sustainable changes to your lifestyle
- A lack of self-compassion or self-care
- A loss of your WHY and reasons for wanting to lose weight
Does a lack of motivation matter?
The consequences of not addressing this lack of motivation can be severe. If you continue to struggle with weight loss, you may be at an increased risk of developing chronic health conditions such as diabetes, heart disease, and certain cancers. Additionally, a lack of motivation can lead to feelings of frustration, disappointment, and even depression. It can also affect your self-esteem and self-worth. Furthermore, it can lead to a lack of energy, poor sleep and difficulty in performing daily activities.
How can I increase my motivation?
What can you do to increase your motivation and successfully lose weight? One effective solution is to focus on increasing your understanding of the benefits of weight loss. Research has shown that people who have a clear understanding of the benefits of weight loss are more likely to be successful in their weight loss efforts. For example, when you understand that losing weight can help you lower your risk of chronic diseases, improve your energy levels, and boost your self-esteem, you may be more motivated to stick to your diet and exercise plan.
5 ways to increase your motivation to lose weight
- Set clear and specific goals: Having a clear idea of what you want to achieve can help you stay motivated. Set realistic and specific weight loss goals, and break them down into smaller, manageable steps.
- Create an accountability system: Share your goals with a friend, family member, and of course your ShiftSetGo weight loss coach, who will hold you accountable and provide support and motivation along the way.
- Find an activity you enjoy: Incorporate physical activity into your daily routine that you enjoy. Whether it’s dancing, swimming, or playing a sport, find an activity that you look forward to and you’ll be more likely to stick with it.
- Reevaluate your WHY. Why are you losing weight? As you lose weight, your why will change and you should reevaluate at every milestone. Learn more and grab a WHY Worksheet. Also check out this blog post on how knowing your why can help with your weight loss.
- Practice self-compassion: Be kind and patient with yourself. Remember that weight loss is a journey, and it takes time. Remember to practice self-compassion and don’t be too hard on yourself if you slip up. Instead, get back on track and move forward with a positive attitude.
Can I develop motivation?
Motivation is a trait that can be developed. the more you work on it, the stronger it can get. A few tips to work on developing your motivation:
- Create a sense of urgency. Sometimes, we need a little push to get started. Give yourself a deadline for your goal and stick to it. This will help you focus and stay motivated to reach your goal on time.
- Surround yourself with supportive people. The people around you can have a big impact on your motivation. Surround yourself with people who will support and encourage you, and avoid those who may discourage or distract you.
- Find inspiration. Look for inspiration in books, podcasts, videos, or quotes. Sometimes, all it takes is a bit of inspiration to help you get motivated and stay on track. One bit of inspo that always helps our clients is looking at their progress photos!
Why motivation matters:
Consider the story of our client Debbie, a woman who had struggled with her weight for most of her adult life. Despite her best efforts, she could never seem to stick to her diet and exercise plan for more than a few weeks. She felt unmotivated and hopeless. But one day, she decided to try something different.
Instead of focusing solely on the numbers on the scale, Debbie decided to focus on the benefits of weight loss. She spoke with her ShiftSetGo weight loss coach about the various health benefits of weight loss, such as reducing her risk of chronic diseases, improving her energy levels, and boosting her self-esteem. As she learned more about these benefits, she began to see weight loss as something that would positively impact her entire life.
With this renewed motivation, Debbie was able to stick to the ShiftSetGo weight loss plan and she started to see real progress. She lost weight and improved her overall health. But perhaps most importantly, she felt better about herself and her life. She had more energy and felt like she could accomplish anything.
In conclusion, a lack of motivation is a common pain point for many people trying to lose weight, but it doesn’t have to be this way. By understanding the benefits of weight loss, you can increase your motivation and successfully lose weight. Remember that weight loss is not just about the numbers on the scale, but it’s also about the positive impact that it can have on your life. So if you’re struggling with a lack of motivation, take a step back and focus on the bigger picture. With the right mindset, you can achieve your weight loss goals and live the life you’ve always wanted.
If you are ready to lose weight and have someone help you increase your motivation, schedule a free consult with one of our coaches today!