Coleslaw is a quick-and-easy, delicious, and incredibly nutritious side that makes the perfect companion to serve alongside your favorite grilled recipes during the summer. Cabbage is packed with antioxidants and fiber and peppers are rich sources of vitamins. The fresh dill and apple cider vinegar in this recipe create a burst of fresh flavor that will quickly make this colorful purple coleslaw a favorite summertime go-to!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: N/A
1/2 cup grated red peppers
1/2 cup grated orange peppers
3 cups grated cabbage
1/2 cup diced dill pickles
2-1/2 TBSP apple cider vinegar
1 tsp Walden Farms maple syrup
1 TBSP avocado oil mayo
1 tsp fresh dill
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cut, grate, and prepare all veggies.
- Place peppers, cabbage, and pickles in a large bowl and toss together.
- Add the vinegar, maple syrup, mayo, dill, salt, and pepper in a mason jar with a tight-fitting lid. Shake well to combine.
- Pour dressing over the veggies and stir well to coat everything.
- Let purple coleslaw sit in the fridge for 30 minutes to give flavors a chance to combine.
Purple Coleslaw Tips
Get creative with the spices in the dressing. Add a little kick with some cayenne pepper or mustard.
To add even more nutrition and color to your purple coleslaw, try adding nutrient-dense veggies and herbs like cilantro, parsley, chives, green onion, or lemon zest.
For a unique twist, try swapping out the cabbage for broccoli. To make this swap even easier, you can find bags of organic broccoli slaw at Trader Joe’s.
This purple coleslaw keeps well in the fridge for 3-4 days. Unlike other salads, this cabbage slaw is one that can actually get better when it’s allowed to sit for a bit in the fridge. It gives the flavors a chance to really meld and lets the dressing soak up a bit into the crunchy veggies.
Daily oil: 1