The next time you see this funny-looking vegetable at the grocery store, don’t just ignore it. Kohlrabi, part of the same family as broccoli and cabbage, is a tasty, healthy, versatile veggie that deserves a spot in your kitchen. While it can be eaten raw, this recipe takes advantage of its flexibility. Our cheesy kohlrabi casserole is quick to put together. It is reminiscent of au gratin potatoes—cheesy and creamy—with tender kohlrabi in place of boring old spuds.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
1 packet ShiftSetGo Cheese Soup/Dip Mix
1-1/2 cups sliced kohlrabi
1/2 cup diced green onion
1 garlic clove, minced
1 oz almond or skim milk
4 TBSP water
1 tsp mustard
1 TBSP Frank’s Hot Sauce
2 tsp olive oil
Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant, about one minute.
- Add the kohlrabi and cook until golden brown. Stir frequently. Add the green onions and cook for 1-2 more minutes. Remove from heat.
- Beat the egg, milk, mustard, water, and cheese sauce in a small bowl until combined.
- Spread the kohlrabi mixture evenly in the bottom of a small baking dish, lightly sprayed with non-stick spray. Pour the cheese sauce mixture over the top. Be sure to cover all of the kohlrabi.
- Bake for 30 minutes and serve hot!
Garnish your kohlrabi casserole with green onions, thinly sliced and diced red onions, or chives.
Feeling hungry? Serve with ShiftSetGo Brown Bread to add another shift meal.
SSG Notes (per serving):
1 SSG Meal
2 oz protein
2 cups veggies
1 milk choice